Descendants of Dr. John Finney Obituaries


The Beacon News (Aurora, IL) – Saturday, 8-11-2001:

William M. Bastian Sr., age 86, of Yorkville, passed away on Wednesday, August 8, 2001, at Hillside Healthcare Center in Yorkville.

He was born on November 22, 1914 in Helena, Montana, the son of Matthew and Marie (Fassel) Bastian.

William was united in marriage on October 19, 1948 in Fredericktown, Ohio to the former Martha Adair.

He was, for over 60 years, a member of the Chicago Federation of Musicians.

William was a veteran of the United States Army, having served his country with the first M.A.S.H. unit in the European Theatre.

He was a member of the Aero Sports Club. Mr. Bastian was formerly employed by Pittsburgh Steel as a sales  representative

He is survived by his wife, Martha, of Yorkville; his children, William M. Bastian Jr., of Yorkville and John (Donna) Bastian, of Yorkville; his seven grandchildren, Amanda, Matthew, Andrea, Curtis, Christopher, Jonathan and Michael; his sister, Marie Jamison, of Lake Forest, IL; as well as, a niece and two nephews.

He was preceded in death by his parents and his niece.

Funeral services will be held at 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 12, 2001, at the Larson-Nelson Funeral Home, 410 E. Countryside Parkway, Yorkville, IL.Friends may call from 1:00 p.m. until the hour of service on Sunday, August 12, 2001, at the Larson-Nelson Funeral Home in Yorkwille.

Arrangements by Nelson Funeral Homes, Philip S. Nelson, Owner and Director

Chicago Tribune (IL) – Saturday, 8-11-2001:

William Mathew Bastian, 86, who served in one of the first motorized evacuation hospitals in Europe in World War II and played bass in big bands for more than 60 years, died of a stroke Wednesday, Aug. 8, in Hillside Healthcare Center, Yorkville. Mr. Bastian was born in 1914 in Helena, Mont., and moved with his family to Chicago six years later. After his graduation from Lane Tech High School, he toured the country playing bass for a big band for several years. He joined the Army and while stationed in Galveston, Texas, helped form one of the first motorized evacuation hospitals, which was deployed in 1942 to England during Word War II, said his son John. After being discharged from the service three years later, Mr. Bastian returned to Chicago and worked in sales for six years for his father at Four Penny, a soap and toiletry company. He met Martha Adair through a friend and married her in 1948 in Fredericktown, Ohio. He then joined Pittsburgh Steel, where he worked as a salesman for several decades. After work and on weekends, Mr. Bastian could be found playing in big bands in clubs and parties across the Midwest. “He was one of those people who kept his day job to afford to be a musician,” his son said. Mr. Bastian was a member of the Chicago Federation of Musicians for more than 60 years. In his spare time, he built model airplanes and antique cars at home. “Anyone who knew him knew he was the ultimate tinkerer,” said his son, adding that his father set up a machine shop in his basement and garage. Mr. Bastian built his house in 1956 in Lake Forest, where his family lived before moving to Yorkville six years ago. Besides his son and wife, Mr. Bastian is survived by another son, William Jr.; a sister, Marie Jamison; and seven grandchildren. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday in Larson-Nelson Funeral Home, 410 E. Countryside Pkwy., Yorkville.


Columbus Dispatch (OH) – Tuesday, 8-27-2002:


Lillian Adair, age 85, formerly of Westerville, died Sunday, August 25, 2002 at Firelands Hospital, Sandusky, Oh. Member of Mizpah Chapter 38 OES for over 50 years. Life member of the PTA Council of Westerville. Preceded in death by husband William A. Adair, parents Harry S. and Jesse Clark, brothers Lloyd and James Clark. Survived by daughter, Beverly L. Adair, Put-in-Bay; sisters-in-law, Wanneta R. Clark, Columbus, Mrs. William (Martha) Bastian, Ill.; nieces, nephews and cousins. Friends may call at the HILL FUNERAL HOME, 220 S. State St., Westerville, 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Tuesday, where service will be held 11 a.m. Wednesday. Dr. Richard Ellsworth officiating. O.E.S. Service 8:30 p.m. Tuesday. Interment Mifflin Cemetery.


Tulsa World (OK) – Saturday, 11-28-1998:

Robert Berry “Bob” Finney, 76, retired Phillips advertising department employee, died Thursday. Services 2 p.m. Monday, Good Shepherd Presbyterian Church. Arnold Moore.


The Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City, OK) – Tuesday, 9-23-1997:

FINNEY Whitham V. “Jim”, age 99, died Friday, Sept. 19, 1997 at his home in Ft. Cobb. Born Sept. 17, 1898 in Vera-Paxico, Ks., moved to Ft. Cobb in 1908. He was active in his home town and statewide. Had received numerous awards and honors. Survived by grandson, Richard Finney, Ft. Cobb, granddaughter, Lisa Finney, McKinney, Tx; great grandson, Ryland Finney, Ft. Cobb; 3 nephews & 1 niece. Services 2:00 p.m. Wed., Fort Cobb United Methodist Church.

Burial in Ft. Cobb Cemetery. Memorials may be made to Hospice of Okla. County, 4334 NW Expwy, Ste 106, OKC 73116-1515; Perpetual Care Fund, Ft. Cobb Cemetery, Box 10, Ft. Cobb, Ok 73038; Ft. Cobb Methodist Church, Box 9, Ft. Cobb, Ok 73038; Ft. Cobb Rotary Club, Bx 40, Ft. Cobb; or memorial of choice. Fort Cobb Funeral Home.

The Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City, OK) – Wednesday, 9-24-1997:

FINNEY Whitham D. “Jim”, 99, died Fri, Sept. 19, 1997 at home in Ft. Cobb, Ok. Service 2 p.m. Wed., Fort Cobb United Methodist Church. Burial in Ft. Cobb Cemetery. Arrangements Fort Cobb Funeral Home.


The Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City, OK) – Monday, 12-22-1986:

William Francis, 85, died Sunday. He was born Feb 19, 1901 in Vera, KS & shortly thereafter his family moved to Ft Cobb, OK where he grew up. Owner of Southwest Engraving Co. from 1929 until retirement in 1962. From 1962 until his death he was an artist. He received several awards in juried competition. Member of Downtown Rotary Club for over 50 years. Graduated from Oklahoma A&M College where he served as editor of Redskin Yearbook. Member of Beta Theta Pi Fraternity, Varsity basketball & track teams. Preceded in death by wife, Dorothy C. Finney. Survived by sons, William C., OKC, James H., Santa Fe, NM; daughters-in-law, Jean Finney, OKC & Mary Finney, Santa Fe, NM; grandchildren, Russ of Houston, Tom of OKC, Gardner & Britten, both of Santa Fe. Services 2 p.m. Tuesday, All Souls Episcopal Church, interment Memorial Park Cemetery. Directed by Hahn-Cook/Street & Draper. Memorials may be made to charity of donor’s choice.


The Daily Journal-Capital (Pawhuska, Oklahoma) – Friday, 12-10-1926:

Mrs. John Bird Is Dead; Well Known In Osage County
Succumbs, after Lingering Illness, at Home in City (Pawhuska); Came to Osage Nation in 1870

The community was grieved Thursday evening by the announcement of the passing of one of Osage county’s  pioneer citizens, Maude Florer Bird. Death occurred at the Bird home, 111 E. 14th.

Mrs. Bird was born at Lawrence, Kansas April 26 1870 and was the daughter of the late John N. Florer and Anna Finney Florer. She came with her parents to Osage county when a little girl of two years of age, their home being established at Greyhorse, one of the earliest known Osage Indian Trading Posts. Her brother was the first white child born on the Osage reservation and was given the name of Walter Osage Florer.

Mrs. Bird was educated in the schools of Emporia, Kansas and Lawrence, Kansas. On Thanksgiving morning, 1891, at Greyhorse, Maude Florer and John Lyman Bird were united in marriage by Dr. Richard Cardy. To that union were born two sons, John Florer and Robert Emmett Bird, who with their father, survive. In the year of 1907, the family came to Pawhuska to reside, and during all of the years of their residence here, the family has taken a very active part in the life of the community.

The beautiful character of Mrs. Bird won for her the love and esteem of a wide circle of friends throughout the community. Her acts of charity and thoughtful kindness toward all with whom she came in contact with.


Death of Mrs. John L. Bird

In the passing of Mrs. John L. Bird which occurred at the family home, 111 East 14th street, Friday evening,  December 10th, 1926, Osage county loses one who has lived more continuous years in what is now Osage County than any other white individual.

Mrs. Bird came to Pawhuska with her father, John N. Florer, one of the earliest Indian traders to arrive and establish a trading store in 1872 for the benefit of the Indians who were just being moved on to their new reservation.

Mrs. Bird was two years of age when the family moved to this point. They occupied a residence built just south of the old Red store, at a point of what is now Main street and Palmer Avenue. This building was removed in 1906 to its present location, one block south of the Midland Valley railroad depot.

She resided continuously at Pawhuska and Grayhorse until her death excepting perhaps a few seasons when she was in the east for school purposes

On Thanksgiving day, November 26, 1891, Miss Maude Florer became the bride of John L. Bird. They are the parents of two sons, Jack and Emmett.

Mrs. Bird perhaps enjoyed an acquaintance among the Osage people and other early inhabitants as well as any other white woman who ever lived upon the reservation and knew perhaps, more of their history as different families and more of the county in general than any white woman since the death of Mrs. Jane …….which occurred at her home…..a few years ago.

Mrs. Bird had been a constant sufferer the past couple of years during the latter of which her demise was almost constantly expected. (TB).

The real early day residents are gradually becoming thinner and thinner in the ranks as they go the opportunity for assembling and editing a history of the early day Osage is becoming less and less. Onlya few of the real old timers are still here and if anything like a correct history of the Osage and his early day customs and habits is ever written it must be done within the next few years.

Funeral services were conducted at the home by Rev. John Gardner, Episcopal Rector, of whose church she was a member and one of its most loyal and earnest workers. The body was taken to Lawrence, Kansas and laid beside her father, brother and other members of the family for its long rest.


Recorder (Greenfield, MA) – Tuesday, 6-2-2009:

ORANGE — Nancy L. (Smith) Woodcock, 82, of 63 Adams St., died Sunday (5-31-09) at Quabbin Valley Healthcare in Athol, after a period of failing health.

She was born in Alliance, Ohio, on Nov. 17, 1926, a daughter of Archie and Clarabel (Finney) Smith, and had lived in Orange since 1945. Nancy graduated from Alliance High School in 1944, and attended Mount Union College in Alliance. It was there that she had met her beloved husband, Melvin E. Woodcock, while he was in training with the Army Air Corps. They were married on Oct. 6, 1945, and had enjoyed 57 years together at the time of his death on July 1, 2003.

After caring for her four children as a stay-at-home mother for 15 years, Nancy took a job in the cafeteria at Mahar Regional School in 1961. She worked at Mahar for over 20 years. During her time there, she also served as a teacher’s aide and later as an assistant in the main office. Nancy made many friends among the staff at Mahar, and a generation of students from the late 1960s and 1970s remembers her fondly for the helpful, friendly manner and caring attitude she always exhibited while working in the cafeteria and the front office.

Nancy loved her family — her husband, children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She was also an avid antique collector and a lifelong lover of dogs. For the past 12 years, her dog Molly has been a constant companion and a special comfort to Nancy following the loss of her husband and son.

Survivors include three sons, David and his wife, Sammye of Belchertown, William and his wife Carole, and Christopher and his wife Joanne, all of Orange; six grandchildren, Jason of Belchertown, Timothy of Ware, Matthew of Assonet, Megan of Brookfield, Conn., and Cameron and Emma, both of Orange; and six great-grandchildren, Sarah and Jacob of Belchertown, Alexander and Rosabel of Ware, and Lily and Gavin of Assonet.

In addition to her husband, Nancy was predeceased by a son, Keith S. Woodcock on Nov. 10, 2004; a sister, Suzanne Martinson of Chardon, Ohio, and a brother, William Smith, of Arroyo Grande, Calif.

Calling hours will be Thursday June 4, from 6 to 8 p.m. at Witty’s Funeral Home, 158 South Main St.

Funeral services will be Friday, June 5, at 10 a.m. at the funeral home, followed by burial at Jones Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, the family suggests donations be made to the Mahar Scholarship Fund, c/o Superintendent’s Office, 507 South Main St., Orange, MA 01364.

Witty’s Funeral Home, 158 South Main Street, Orange, is directing the arrangements. Guest book and directions available online at


The Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH) – Monday, 3-24-1997:

Suzanne Martinson taught Latin and English at Harvey High School in Painesville and in the Willoughby-Eastlake School District, retiring 15 years ago.

She was born in Alliance and graduated from Mount Union College in Alliance.

Mrs. Martinson, 78, died Friday at her home.

She had been a resident of Painesville before moving to the township 26 years ago.

She loved to read.

Survivors include her husband, Arthur C., whom she married in 1943; daughter, Pamela Martinson of Hambden Township; son, Larry A. of Bay Village; and a sister.

Services will be private.

Arrangements are being handled by Burr Funeral Home of Chardon.


The Recorder (Greenfield, MA) – Wednesday, 7-2-2003:

ORANGE — Melvin E. Woodcock Jr., 78, of 63 Adams St., died Tuesday (7-1-03), at the Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield, after a seven-month battle with cancer.

Born in Orange, July 25, 1924, he was the son of Melvin and Margaret (Moore) Woodcock. He was a lifelong resident of Orange.

A 1942 graduate of Orange High School, Woodcock joined the Army Air Corps in July 1944, and served during World War II, as a B17 navigator with the 483rd Bomb Group, 817th Bomb Squadron. During the war, he flew 27 bombing missions over Germany and Italy.

He was a member of Orange American Legion Post 172 and the Orange World War II Last Man’s Club. Throughout his life he remained proud of his military service.

Woodcock worked for Rice Oil Co. in Greenfield for 22 years, first joining the company as office manager in 1981. Even after his retirement from full-time work in 1988, he continued to work part-time at Rice Oil, only recently giving up his job because of his illness. Previously, Woodcock worked for many years as a bookkeeper at Pioneer Petroleum Products in Gill.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, the former Nancy L. Smith; four sons, David and his wife, Sammye, of Belchertown, William and his wife, Carole, Keith and his friend Karen Matthews and Christopher and his wife, Joanne, all of Orange; a brother, Courtney and his wife, Barbara, of Greenfield; six grandchildren, Jason of Belchertown, Timothy of Ware, Matthew of Dracut, Megan, Cameron and Emma, all of Orange; two great- grandchildren, Sarah and Jacob of Belchertown, and several aunts and uncles and nieces and nephews.He was a pitcher for Orange High School in the early 1940s. He enjoyed baseball, basketball, football, golf and other sports. He was fond of telling the story of being at Yankee Stadium the day Don Larsen pitched his perfect game in 1956.An Orange Little League coach for a number of years, he also served on the Orange Little League’s Board of Directors. He was also a member, at one time, of the Orange American Legion Drum and Bugle Corps.

Calling hours at Witty’s Funeral Home, 158 South Main St., will be today from 6 to 8 p.m.

Services will be Thursday at 11 a.m. at Witty’s Funeral Home. Private burial will be in Jones Cemetery at the convenience of the family. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions are suggested to the Orange Scholarship Fund, P.O. Box 298, or the Orange American Legion Scholarship Fund, Whitney Street, both in Orange, MA 01364.