Descendants of Letitia Finney Obituaries


The Philadelphia Inquirer and Philadelphia Daily News (PA) – Thursday, 1-1-2004:

SALLY M. (nee Allen), on Dec. 30, 2003, devoted mother of Sally Thompson, Susan Ocamb, Nancy Gaines and Curt Gaines, sister of Ben Allen, Sandra McMullen and Roberta Bowman, grandmother of Corinne Ocamb and James Gaines. A Service celebrating her Life will be held on Sat., Jan. 3, 2004 at Trinity Assembly of God, 1022 Pottstown Pike, West Chester, PA. Visitaion with family and friends will be from 1 to 2 P.M. with Service immediately following at 2 P.M. In lieu of flowers donations may be made to the above named Church.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Monday, 11-17-1884:

Died.–November 15, 1884, Charles Pettit Bayard, in the seventy-sixth year of his age.

Funeral from his late residence, No. 5519 Main street, Germantown, on Wednesday, the 19th inst.

The Philadelphia Inquirer – Tuesday, 11-18-1884:

Charles P. Bayard, well known in financial circles and one of the oldest members of the Philadelphia Stock Exchange, died yesterday at his residence in Germantown, in his sixty-fifth year.

[Mr. Bayard occupied an office at No. 2184 Walnut street. Notice of Mr. Bayard’s death was read out at the first session of the Exchange, and the flag was kept flying at half mast all day. The deceased leaves two sons, Charles M. and W.M. Bayard, both of whom are members of the Exchange.]

The Philadelphia Inquirer – Tuesday, 11-18-1884:

Bayard.–At his late residence, No. 5519 Main street, Germantown, November 15, 1884 Charles Pettit Bayard, in the seventy sixth year of his age.

Interment private.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Friday, 2-6-1880:

The Hon. Adolph E. Borie, ex-Secretary of the Navy, died at his residence, No. 1025 Spruce street, at half past three o’clock yesterday morning, after a short illness. True, his health had been failing for some time; but it was only after his return from his trip to Europe with General Grant that he became really an invalid, and even then his indomitable energy enabled him to keep up when others would have broken down completely. On Christmas day he dined and spent the evening with General Grant at the residence of a mutual friend. It was their last meeting. In the early part of the present week, although he was then confined to his bed, it was thought that he was rallying, and, even as late as Wednesday evening, the answer of the family to inquiries about his condition was that he appeared “a little easier”. But after midnight a change was observed, and from that time he sank rapidly til the vital spark went out.

Hon. Adolph E. Borie was born in this city in 1809, and early in life became associated in business with his father, Mr. John Joseph Borie, a French merchant, from Bordeaux, who established himself in Philadelphis during the first years of the present century, and died in 1835. Three years after his father’s death Mr. Borie changed the firm name, which, till then, had been J.J. Borie & Son, by forming a business alliance with the late Gen. Bohlen, who was killed during the war. Other partnerships were then formed by Mr. Borie, and the name Borie & Troth, and afterward to McKean, Borie & Co. of No. 135 Dock street, general importers, in trade with Mexico, the West Indies and Canton.

In 1848 Mr. Borie was elected president of the Bank of Commerce, a position which he held til 1860, when his health compelled him to make a voyage to Europe. He, however, continued to hold his place as a director in the above named institution, in the Board of Trade, and the Philadelphia Savings Fund Society. The rebellion drew Mr. Borie, in common with many other business men, into political life, and he was active as a member of the Union League, and as its president rendered important services to the government. Up to the time of his death he continued to hold the presidency of the League, and on General Grant’s election accepted a place in his Cabinet as Secretary of the Navy, entering upon office March 8, 1869, but holding it only til June 25th of the same year, though urged to remain by both President and people.

In 1872 Mr. Borie permitted his name to be placed at the head of the Republican electoral ticket in this State, and frequently presided during the sessions of that college. In 1872 Mr. Borie again visited Europe, Miss Nellie Grant being a member of his party, and later, when the illustrious father of that young lady started on his trip around the world, his ex-Secretary of the Navy accepted an urgent invitation to accompany him, but was forced by failing health to return, though not till the party, whom he joined in Paris, had reached Shanghai. From that point Mr. Borie steamed across the Pacific, and came home overland, reaching Philadelphis on the 21st of June, apparently, but, alas, only apparently, to improved health.

Mr. Borie as one of the few American patrons of true art. His paintings are all representative works. Among them is Fortony’s “Garden in Grenada,” and other pictures by the same artist, and on his catalogue are the names of Rousseau, Zamscois, Turner, Vellagas, Leurs, Weber, and others of like standing. Conspicuous among these, and valuable from associations, is a water color drawing done by General Grant while a cadet at West Point. Mr. Boried was a man of culture, and, as appears from the above mention of his love of art, of refined and educated taste. His position as a citizen was in the highest rank, and there was no office, municipal or national, which he could not have commanded after his election as president of the League had he been willing to burden himself with the cares of public life.

The funeral will take place at noon on Saturday.

At a special meeting of the Board of Directors of the Union League of Philadelphia, held last evening, to take action regarding the death of Mr. Borie, it was unanimously resolved that the following minute be entered upon the proceedings of the meeting, and that a copy thereof be transmited to the family of the deceased:

Resolved, That in the death of the Honorable Adolph E. Borie the Union League has sustained a loss that reminds up how few of the original officers of the institution remain among our members. Mr. Borie held the office of vice-president of our body from the organization of the League in the year 1862 until the time of his death. During that long term of office he endeared himself to our association by his unflinching loyalty and devotion to the country during the rebellion; his liberality in offering his large means toward the support of every public movement, and the high-spirited counsel which he offered and put into practice when the hearts of other men were disposed to falter and their actions to become feeble. In his intercourse with his fellow members his …… was ….. by a courtesy and a kindness of heart that won universal regard, and that, through all changes of sentiment, made his name of the most popular among our officers–a name at which none could ….., and to which all gave the willing support of their confidence.

The Board of Directors know from the voice of that private …, which should be dearest to men than the clamour of glory, that Mr. Borie moved among his family and his friends as a visible blessing of Heaven, and we, therefore, sorrowfully sympathize with those who have been deprived of the advice, the example and the substance of so good, so magnaminous and so generous a benefactor.

When Mr. Borie was called upon to assume the high office of Secretary of the Navy, and to sit at the councils of his friend, President Grant, we shared in the confidence which the President reposed in him, and with the President we lamented that Mr. Borie’s failing health forbade him, in his own conscientious opinion, from longer performing the duties of the office in which he had gained universal respect and approval.

Resolved, That as a mark of our esteem and sorrow the members of the Union League be requested to meet at the League House on Saturday next, at one o’clock, for the purpose of being present at the funeral ceremonies of the Hon. Adolph E. Borie, to be held at St. Stephen’s Church, and that the League House be draped in mourning for the period of thirty days.

Georgia Weekly Telegraph – Friday, 2-13-1880:

Philadelphia, February 5.–Adoph E. Borie, ex-Secretary of the Navy, died this morning. He died at his residence here at half-past three o’clock this morning in the seventy-first year of his age. He had been in ill health for a long time, and his demise is attributed by his physician to a general breaking down of the system.


The Philadelphia Inquirer (PA) – Sunday, 7-9-2000:

Alfred Clay “Ace” Borie, of Glenside, a retired steel company sales executive, died Wednesday at Abington Memorial Hospital of complications after a stroke. He was 77.

He graduated from St. Paul’s School in Concord, N.H., and attended the University of Pennsylvania, where he was a member of the Zeta Psi fraternity. He was a Marine veteran of World War II and the Korean War.

An active oarsman until his death, he was a member and past president of the University Barge Club. He was a member of the Philadelphia Cricket Club and the Military Order of Loyal Legion.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Frances Dunning Borie; daughters Anne B. Clements, Julia C. Borie and Ellen B. Moreland; and four grandchildren.

There will be a memorial service at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 22 E. Chestnut Hill Ave., at 11 a.m Tuesday. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be sent to St. Paul’s School, Concord, N.H. 03301, or to the University Barge Club, 7 Boathouse Row, Philadelphia 19103.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Tuesday, 11-9-1886:

Died – on the morning of Nov 7, 1886, at his residence near Torresdale, Charles B. Borie, in his sixty-eighth year.

Funeral services at St. Stephens’ Church, this morning at 12 o’clock precisely.


Philadelphia Inquirer (PA) – Saturday, 6-27-1998:

Helen Sewell Borie McAllister, 79, a retired interior decorator, died of heart failure Wednesday at Waverly Heights, a retirement community in Gladwyne. She had lived in Chestnut Hill.

Mrs. McAllister, who had operated her business from her home in Chestnut Hill, served mostly residential clients for about 30 years. She retired in the early 1990s.

She attended Tyler School of Art at Temple University and the Ogontz School.

She is survived by a daughter, Holly McAllister Swett, and a brother.

A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Thomas Church, Bethlehem Pike and Church Road, Whitemarsh, Montgomery County. Burial will be in the church cemetery.


The Philadelphia Inquirer (PA) – Wednesday, 5-19-1993:

PATTY BORIE NALLE, 95, a former society volunteer, died Sunday at Catherdral Village in the Roxborough section of Philadelphia.

For many years, Mrs. Nalle was active in the Pennsylvania Children’s Aid Society and Philadelphia Housing Association. She also was a volunteer at the Philadelphia Art Museum, which was designed by her uncle Louis Borie.

Another uncle, Adolph Borie, served as secretary of the Navy under President Ulysses S. Grant. Mrs. Nalle was asked to christen two U.S. Navy destroyers named for her uncle, one during each of the world wars.

The ship named for her uncle during World War II was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean near the U.S. coast during a battle with a German submarine, said her son, Beauveau B. Nalle.

Born in Jenkintown, Mrs. Nalle grew up in Philadelphia and graduated from a boarding school in Baltimore.

Survivors include two other sons, Jesse and Peter B.; nine grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

Services: funeral, 2 p.m. Friday, St. Thomas’ Church, Whitemarsh, Church Road and Bethlehem Pike, Whitemarsh; burial, the church yard.


The New York Times – Tuesday, 8-13-2002:

BORIE-Peter. Retired attorney, 88, on August 10, 2002. Son of the Philadelphia painter Adolphe Borie, he attended Episcopal Academy and graduated from St. Paul’s School, Yale University and Columbia Law School. He served as a Lt. Commander in the Navy during WWII. After practicing law as a partner with the New York firm of Cravath, Swaine & Moore, he joined the legal department of Pepsi Cola in 1951 and was named a Vice-President, retiring in 1971. He served on the board of trustees of the Nightingale -Bamford School and on the board of Interfaith Neighbors in New York City. In 1990, he and his second wife, Mary, moved back to Philadelphia. He is survived by a daughter, Edith Borie; three step-daughters, Valerie Takai, Molly Hoffman Mazzone and Helen Davies; and two grandchildren, Giorgio Mazzone and Elena Mazzone. Service will be held in Philadelphia at St. Peter’s Church, 3rd & Pine Sts., Wednesday, August 14 at 4:00 PM. Memorial donations may be made to Pennsylvania Hospital, Development Office, 800 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19007; or Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, 118 N. Broad St., Phila., PA 19107.


The Philadelphia Inquirer (PA) – Wednesday, 6-20-1990:


Lysbeth Boyd Borie, a poet and civic worker, died Sunday in Wyndmoor. She was 87 and had been a Chestnut Hill resident for the last 50 years.

Mrs. Borie wrote three books of children’s poetry. Her best-known work, Poems for Peter, was published in 20 editions over 50 years and widely distributed through the city Board of Education.

Mrs. Borie’s adult poetry was published over a half-century in Harper’s, the Atlantic Monthly, the Saturday Evening Post and other magazines.

From 1957 until her retirement in 1972, Mrs. Borie was on the staff of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. As the museum’s director of public relations, she originated the museum’s volunteer guide service, the first members’ newsletter, and the original Cultural Loop Bus along the Parkway.

Mrs. Borie was a 1920 graduate of the Agnes Irwin School, where she later won the Margretta Anspash Willings Distinguished Alumnae Award. She attended Bryn Mawr College, Class of 1925, returning from 1953 to 1957 to be editor of the Bryn Mawr Alumnae Bulletin.

Mrs. Borie was active for many years on numerous civic and cultural boards and committees. She was a past president of the Junior League of Philadelphia, a charter member of the Advisory Board of the Friends of Independence National Historical Park and a founding member of the Cosmopolitan Club.

She also was an honorary member of the board of the Independence Hall Association, and a member of the Museum Council of Philadelphia, the Friends of the Chestnut Hill Library and the Chestnut Hill Historical Society.

She also was an associate of the Morris Arboretum and a member of the Friends of the Wissahickon and the Fairmount Park Association.

For more than 50 years, she was married to Henry P. Borie, a manufacturer’s representative and a major in the Army during World War II. Mr. Borie died in 1980 at the age of 80.

She is survived by sons, Henry P. Jr. and David; a sister; six grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.

A funeral will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 22 E. Chestnut Hill Ave., Philadelphia. Burial will be private.


The Daily Constitution, Talbot, MD – Friday, 5-15-1874:

Admiral Franklin Buchanan, late of the confederate navy, and for many years a distinguished officer of the United States navy, died on Tuesday at his residence in Talbot county, Maryland.


The Knoxville Journal – Sunday, 9-6-1891:

Baltimore, September 5.–Franklin Buchanan, formerly of this city, but recently a resident of Savannah, died this morning at “The Rest,” the country home of his mother near Mill river, Talbot county. Buchanan was a son of Admiral Franklin Buchanan, of the confederate navy. When a very young man, he removed south and became interested in the rice business. At the time of death he was a continent broker in rice, and the owner of two rice mills in Savannah.


L’Oracle and Daily Advertiser – Tuesday, 8-2-1808:

On the 9th inst. after a short illness, Doctor George Buchanan, Lazaretto physician, for the port of Philadelphia, closed the scene of his earthly existence. Doctor Buchanan was educated in Pennsylvania._He studied physic under the direction of the late Dr. William Shippen, in Philadelphia, and received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in the University of Pennsylvania. After some years spent in Europe, in improving his knowledge in the science of medicine, he commenced the practice of Physic in Baltimore, which soon became extensive and lucrative. A rheumatic affliction obliged him, some time before he left Baltimore, publicly to decline practice. Many of those, however, who knew him intimately, had had such confidence in his skill, and attachment to his person, that unwilling to be deprived of his services, they required, and received his professional assistance. For many years he acted as a magistrate for the city of Baltimore. In the year 1806, solicited by some of his friends, he moved to Philadelphia, and was afterwards appointed upon the decease of Doctor Dorsey, Lazaretto Physician. The duties of the station he executed with diligence and skill; while he assiduously endeavored, and his labours were successful, to prevent the introduction of any malignant, infectious, or contagious disease, into the city of Philadelphia; the duties of his office were performed with a mildness of temper, and correctness of manners, that engaged the attention and respect of all, with whom he had intercourse. The sick or unfortunate were objects of his particular attention. The feelings of the man were never lost, nor the dictates of humanity ever neglected, in the performance of official duty.

In private life he was amiable, respected and beloved. In the character of husband, father and master, his example was worthy of imitation. His friendship did not consist in his professions, but when the opportunity offered, his actions evinced the affection and sincerity of his heart. He was a sincere and devout Christian; he practised the precepts of our Saviour. He injured no one in word or deed, for evil he returned good and his admonitions, when necessary, were without austerity of manner or expression. Honest and upright, he fulfilled his own engagements. Temperate in his habits he did not indulge in idle luxuries, nor suffer his expenses to exceed the limits prudence prescribe. By this premature death, society is deprived of a good and useful member, and skillful physician. The void in the breasts of his friends cannot be easily filled. To his widow his loss was affliction, sudden and consummate. To his seven children, yet too young fully to know and feel a father’s loss, time will bring with the knowledge of their misfortune, increased sorrow.


The Daily Delta – Friday, 1-16-1863:

We are called upon to mourn the death of Lieut. Thomas McKean Buchanan, commander of the gunboat Calhoun, who was shot through the head, on board of his vessel, on Wednesday morning. His vessel had got aground before the obstructions near the entrance of the Teche, and while he was forward endeavoring to float her, he was shot by some Southern scum from a rifle pit. Col. Thomas, of the 8th Vermont, avenged his death by a prompt assault of the pits and the capture and rout of the devils. Lieut. Buchanan was a noble sailor. He was courageous and generous, and everybody who came within the influence of his manhood liked him. He won high titles while on the New London, and we think that we bestow no less than just praise when we say the navy has lost one its bravest officers, and the American Union one of its truest sons. He was a nephew of the rebel naval Commodore Buchanan and a connection of ex-President Buchanan; but in name only was he like them.


The Philadelphia Inquirer (PA) – Friday, 3-22-1985:

Mary Alice Clay Borie, 90, a socially prominent interior decorator, died yesterday at the Bishop White Lodge in Cathedral Village, a retirement community in the Roxborough section of the city. A former resident of Rydal and Chestnut Hill, she lived in Cathedral Village.

She was the widow of Charles Louis Borie.

Active in business as well as in civic affairs, Mrs. Borie owned and operated the Four Seasons Shop in Jenkintown in pre-war days.

She was a past president of the Huntingdon Valley Garden Club and a member of the Woman’s Board of Abington Memorial Hospital.

Survivors: her sons, Alfred C. and Charles L.; daughters, Mary Alice Brownell and Helen B. McAllister; 11 grandchildren and four great- grandchildren.

Services: 3:30 p.m. Monday, St. Thomas Church, Whitemarsh. Burial will be in the churchyard.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Monday, 3-7-1887:

George B. Coale, president of the Merchants’ Mutual Insurance Company of Baltimore, died Saturday of heart disease, aged 68 years.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Wednesday, 7-11-1984:

James W. Cooke, 76, a retired executive for a steel company and an electronics firm, died Sunday of a heart attack at Devon Manor, a nursing home in Delaware County. He lived in Haverford before moving to the nursing home two years ago.

Mr. Cooke was born in Philadelphia and grew up at Dawesfield, the family’s homestead in Ambler. He graduated from St. Paul’s School in Concord, N.H., in 1926 and from Princeton University in 1930.

After college, Mr. Cooke worked for a utility company in Cincinnati for three years and later accepted a job as an executive for General Steel Castings at its headquarters in Eddystone, Pa. In the 1950’s, when the company moved its main office to St. Louis, Mr. Cooke remained behind as the eastern sales representative.

In 1968, he retired from the steel castings firm and accepted a job as vice president of transportation for Gulton Industries, a Princeton electronics firm. He retired from that position in 1982.

Mr. Cooke was a member of several men’s social and business clubs, including the Rabbit Club in Bala Cynwyd, the Links Club in New York and the Metropolitan Club in Washington.

He is survived by his wife, Phebe W. Cooke; three daughters, Rebecca Cooke, Phebe Szatmari and Elizabeth Maiman; a son, James W. Cooke Jr.; and eight grandchildren.

Services will be held at 2 pm. today at the Church of the Redeemer on New Gulph Road in Bryn Mawr.


The Philadelphia Inquirer (PA) – Friday, 5-21-1993:

Elizabeth Wharton Evans, 95, a former volunteer at Pennsylvania Hospital, died Wednesday at Sandy River Nursing Home in Farmington, Maine.

Mrs. Evans was a descendant of Thomas McKean, governor of Pennsylvania from 1797 to 1803 and a signer of the Declaration of Independence representing Delaware.

Mrs. Evans was active in the Women’s Committee of the Pennsylvania Hospital and worked in many other charitable causes. She and her late husband, insurance executive Rowland Evans Sr., were well-known among tennis enthusiasts here and in Europe.

She graduated from Rosemary Hall in Greenwich, Conn., and was president of her class at Bryn Mawr College.

Survivors: daughters, Phebe Warren Cooke and Bessie McKean Smith; sons, Rowland Jr., Owen Glendower, John Lewis 2d; 20 grandchildren, and 20 great- grandchildren.

Services: funeral, noon today, Church of the Redeemer, Old Gulph Road, Bryn Mawr; burial, in the churchyard.


The New York Times – Monday, 1-14-1985:

Dr. Norton Downs of Trinity College, the author and editor of many works on medieval history, died Friday at Hartford Hospital. He was 66 years old and lived in Canton Center, Conn.

Dr. Downs, who joined the faculty at Trinity in 1950, was a leading authority on Sir Walter Scott, the 19th-century novelist, and in 1979 he gave the college his collection of Scott’s letters, papers and first editions.

Dr. Downs, who was born in Philadelphia, earned undergraduate and doctoral degrees from the University of Pennsylvania. During World War II he was a lieutenant in the Navy. At Trinity he was the faculty adviser to the college crew for many years and founded The Friends of Trinity Rowing.

He is survived by his wife, Marguerite Lindsay Downs; three children: N. Thompson, of Unionville, Conn.; Lindsay, of Plainville, Conn., and Alice, of New York City; his mother, Mrs. Edward Madeira of Newton Square, Pa.; a half-brother, Edward Madeira Jr. of Wayne, Pa., and three grandchildren.

A funeral service will be held Tuesday at 11 A.M. in Trinity Episcopal Church in Collinsville, Conn.


Philadelphia Inquirer (PA) – Saturday, 12-22-2001:

BORIE On Dec. 20, 2001, ELIZABETH (nee Ellison), of Chestnut Hill; wife of the late Beauveau Borie III; mother of Jeanne B. Tustian and the late Elizabeth B. Williams and Beauveau Borie IV; also survived by 7 grandchildren and 9 great grandchildren. A Memorial Service Sat. Dec. 29, 11 A.M. at St. Martin in the Fields Church, 8000 St. Martins Ln, Chestnut Hill. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to St. Martin in the Fields Church, Phila., PA 19118 or Chestnut Hill Hospital, 8835 Germantown Ave., Phila., PA 19118.


The Philadelphia Inquirer and Philadelphia Daily News – Monday, 3-3-2003:

McCawley, Sarah Atlee died as the result of lung cancer onMarch 1, 2003 at the age of 80. Born in Hartford, Connecticut on November 1, 1922, she was the daughter of Robert L. and Sarah Atlee Fisher. She attended The Shipley School, Bryn Mawr, PA, The Brownmoor School in Santa Fe, New Mexico and Harcum College in Bryn Mawr. Married for 61 years to William M. McCawley, she had six children: Sally Fridy of Paoli, Margaret Teillon of Devon, William McCawley, Jr. of Steamboat Springs, CO, Eliza Parkin of Cleveland, Dr. Christopher McCawley of Lyme, CT and Phebe McCawley, deceased; she also had thirteen grandchildren. An avid horsewoman, she served for several years as president of the Delaware Combined Training Association. She lived at various times in Connecticut, Delaware and Switzerland but was mainly a resident of Pennsylvania. She was an active member of St. Andrew’s Church, West Vincent. A memorial service will be held at St. Andrew’s Church on Saturday March 8 at 4:30 P.M. In lieu of flowers, it is suggested that contributions be made to St. Andrew’s Church, 7 St. Andrew’s Lane, Glenmoore, PA 19343.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Wednesday, 7-4-1906:

Hartshorne.–On July 2, 1906, infant daughter of Edward Yarnall and Clementina Rhodes Hartshorne, aged 1 day.


The Boston Globe – Tuesday, 12-8-1987:

Elizabeth Perkins (Lee) McKean, 97, of Beverly Farms, died Saturday in her residence after a long illness.

Born in Brookline, Mrs. McKean later lived in Wenham before moving to Beverly Farms in 1968.

She leaves one sister, Florence L. Grey-Edwards of Beverly Farms; four daughters, Marion Wigglesworth of Wilson, Wyo., Elizabeth M. Bourneuf of Beverly Farms, Pauline Madden of Wenham and Florence McDougall of Boston; one son, Henry P. McKean of New York City; 18 grandchildren and 19 great- grandchildren.

A private memorial service will be held at 11 a.m., Saturday, Dec. 12, in her home in Beverly Farms.


The Hartford Courant (CT) – Sunday, 7-20-1997:

DOWNS. Marguerite L. Downs, of Collinsville, widow of Norton Downs III, died peacefully in her sleep, Wednesday (July 16, 1997) at her home. She was born in Anderson, SC, April 5, 1916, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Lindsay. She served as a nurse with the 43rd General Hospital during World War II, having served in North Africa, Italy, and Southern France, receiving the European-African-Middle Eastern Theater Campaign Ribbon. She leaves N. Thompson Downs and his wife, Mary of Unionville, Lindsay Downs of Collinsville, Rev. Alice L. Downs and her husband, Rev. Dean Henry of Navesink, NJ; and three grandchildren, Peter and Erin Downs of Collinsville, and Amanda Downs of Wethersfield. Friends may call at the Ahern Funeral Home, 111 Main St., Route 4, Unionville, today, 5-8 p.m. Funeral services will be Monday (July 21), 11 a.m., in Trinity Episcopal Church, River Road, Collinsville, with the Rev. Alice L. Downs officiating. Interment will follow the service in the Memorial Garden at the church. Memorial contributions may be made to the Canton VNA, 220 Albany Turnpike, Canton 06019, or to Trinity Episcopal Church, River Road, Collinsville 06022.


The Philadelphia Inquirer and Philadelphia Daily News – Thursday, 10-16-2003:

McCawley, William Morris, born in Phila., PA on Feb. 3, 1919, attended Haverford Friends School and Episcopal Academy, graduated from Avon Old Farms School, Avon, CT in 1937 and The Wharton School of The University of Pennsylvania in 1941. He was predeceased by Sarah Atlee Fisher, his wife of 61 years. They had six children; Sally Friday of Paoli, PA, Margaret Teillon on Devon, PA, William McCawley, Jr. of Steamboat Springs, CO, Eliza Parkin of Cleveland Heights, OH, Phebe McCawley (deceased) and Dr. Christopher McCawley of Lyme, CT, and 13 grandchildren. Employed by E.I. du Pont de Nemours Co., Inc. for 39 years. WWII Navy veteran. A memorial service will be held at St. Andrew’s Church, 7 St. Andrew’s Lane, Glenmoore, PA 19343 on Tues., Oct. 21, at 10 A.M. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to St. Andrew’s Church

The News Journal (Wilmington, DE) –  Friday, 10-17-2003:

William Morris McCawley Died Tuesday, October 14, 2003.

He was born in Philadelphia, PA February 3, 1919 to Comdr. Edmund Smith McCawley and Margaret Yorke Bannard. He attended Haverford Friends School and Episcopal Academy. He was a camper and counselor at Camp Kieve, Damariscotta, ME. He graduated from Avon Old Farms School in Avon, CT in 1937 and from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 1941 with a BS degree in economics. While at Penn, he ran hurdles and was a member of the Friars Senior Society. He was the alumni president of his class for their 50th reunion.

After college, Bill joined E.I. DuPont de Nemours & Co. in Seaford, DE. His employment with duPont spanned almost 40 years, including 5 years spent with DuPont International, S.A. in Geneva, Switzerland. He was given time out for military service during World War II, while he served as navigation officer in the U.S. Navy in the South Pacific and along the Atlantic coast. He held various positions with DuPont including market research manager, Orlon, Acetate, product manager, Lycra, and director of international marketing for textile fibers.

Bill was a lifelong Episcopalian, serving as warden, vestryman and lay reader at Trinity Church in Swarthmore, PA, Emanuel Church in Geneva, Switzerland, St. David’s Church in Radnor, PA and finally at St. Andrew’s Church in Glenmoore, PA.

After retirement from DuPont, Bill became president of Terek Corporation, a management consulting firm, from 1981-1987. He served as a member of the board of directors for Camp Hill School at Beaver Run. Bill served in the international trade administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce. For his 3rd career move, Bill became a real estate agent, working with Roach, and then while at Weichert, he authored a book, Retirement Living in the Greater Delaware Valley, published in July 1993.

He was a member of the Aztec Club of Washington, DC and the St. Anthony Club, and as an enthusiastic horseman, was a former president and master of foxhounds of the Pickering Hunt of Chester Springs. For relaxation, Bill kept his hands and feet busy. He was an avid artist (oil paint, woodwork and photography), a gardener, golfer, tennis player, a member of the 80+ Skier’s Club, a blue water sailor and a fly fisherman.

He was predeceased by his wife of 61 years, Sarah Atlee Fisher. Survivors include their children, Sally Fridy of Paoli, PA, Margaret Teillon of Devon, PA, William McCawley, Jr. of Steamboat Springs, CO, Eliza Parkin of Cleveland Heights, OH and Dr. Christopher McCawley of Lyme, CT; and 13 grandchildren. Other survivors include his sisters, Mary Yorke Minturn Haskins of Hamilton, MA and Heath Bannard Porter of Villanova, PA. He was preceded in death by his daughter, Phebe McCawley; and his brother, Edmund Smith McCawley, Jr., who died in July 2002.

A memorial service will be held at 10 am on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 at St. Andrew’s Church, 7 St. Andrew’s Lane, Glenmoore, PA 19343.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to St. Andrew’s Church at the above address.

Arrangements by the MAUGER-GIVNISH FUNERAL HOME Malvern, PA

The Philadelphia Inquirer – Tuesday, 10-21-2003:

Executive, author, 84 William M. McCawley, 84, of West Chester, a retired DuPont Co. executive and author of a guide to retirement living, died of heart failure Oct. 14 at Paoli Memorial Hospital.

In 1994, Mr. McCawley wrote Retirement Living in the Greater Delaware Valley after visiting dozens of continuing-care communities. At the time, at age 75, he was selling real estate for Weichert Realtors, playing tennis three days a week, golfing and skiing. His daughter, Sally Fridy, said Mr. McCawley “kept his hands and feet busy,” and enjoyed other hobbies, including gardening, sailing, fishing and painting.

Before becoming a Realtor, Mr. McCawley was a market research manager for DuPont for 40 years, including five years with the company’s international division in Switzerland. After retiring from DuPont in 1980 he was president of Terek Corp., a management consulting firm.

He was appointed by President Jimmy Carter to the international trade administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce.

An accomplished horseman, Mr. McCawley rode with the Pickering Hunt in Chester Springs in the 1970s and ’80s and was a former master of the foxhounds.

He grew up in Haverford and Villanova and graduated from Avon Old Farms School in Avon, Conn., and from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific and the Atlantic. He remained in the Navy Reserve until 1950.

Mr. McCawley was warden, vestryman and lay reader at several Episcopal churches, most recently St. Andrew’s Church in Glenmoore.

His wife of 61 years, Sarah Fisher McCawley, died in March. Mr. McCawley’s survivors also include daughters Margaret Teillon and Eliza Parkin; sons William Jr. and Christopher; and 13 grandchildren. A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. today at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, 7 St. Andrew’s Lane, Glenmoore, Pa. 19343. Burial is private.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Wednesday, 6-9-1886:

BAYARD.–Monday evening, June 7, Adeline Julia Bayard, widow of the late Charles P. Bayard, in the seventy-eighth year of her age. Interment private.


Poulson’s American Daily Advertiser – Saturday, 6-2-1804:

Departed this life on Sunday last, Mrs. Ann Buchanan, wife of Andrew Buchanan, Esquire, of Baltimore, and the second daughter of His Excellency Thomas McKean, Governor of the state of Pennsylvania.


The Boston Globe – Tuesday, 4-28-1992:

Elizabeth McKean Bourneuf, recognized for volunteer work on behalf of the Beverly Historical Society, the Boston Science Museum and the New England Aquarium, died Sunday in Beverly Hospital after having suffered a stroke. She was 74. Mrs. Bourneuf, of Beverly Farms, was born and raised in Wenham and educated at Shore Country Day School in Beverly and Westover School in Middlebury, Conn.

Besides devoting her time to volunteer work for which she got awards and citations, Mrs. Bourneuf was also an accomplished sailor who accumulated several seasonal championships during the 1950s and 1960s.

Mrs. Bourneuf leaves three daughters, Elizabeth Lee Forbes Thitherington of Newton, Phyllis Forbes Kerr of Cambridge, and Jessie d’Entremont Bourneuf of Milton; a son, Henri Joseph Bourneuf Jr. of Cambridge; two sisters, Pauline Madden of South Hamilton, and Sue McDougall of Santa Fe, N.M.; a brother, Henry McKean of New York, and six grandchildren.

Mrs. Bourneuf was widowed twice. Her first husband, Robert Bennet Forbes, died in 1944. Her second huband, Henri J. Bourneuf, died in 1987.

A memorial service will be held in her home in Beverly Farms at 3 p.m. Sunday. Burial will be private.


Dallas Morning News Historical Archive – Tuesday, 3-30-1886:

Philadelphia, March 29.–The widow of the late Adolph E. Borie, who was Secretary of the Navy under Gen. Grant, died this afternoon at her residence in this city. The deceased was childless.

The Philadelphia Inquirer – Tuesday, 3-30-1886:

Mrs. Elizabeth D. Borie, widow of the late Adolph E. Borie, who was Secretary of the Navy under President Grant, died yesterday at her residence, on Spruce street, below Eleventh. Only last week occurred the death of her brother-in-law, Mr. Henry P. Borie.


The New York Times – Saturday, 7-10-1999:

McKEAN-Q.A. Shaw Jr. The Board of Directors, Members and Staff of Fountain House express their deep sorrow on the loss of our friend and colleague Shaw. He became Treasurer in 1987 from 1990, served as the President of the Board for 3 years and later headed-up our successful Fund for Fountain House. He continued to serve as Treasurer until his death. Shaw’s generosity of spirit, dedication, energy and talents have benefited all who came into contact with him, and his high standards of excellence have been a key ingredient in helping our clubhouse programs achieve national and international recognition for serving men and women with major mental illnesses. We extend our deepest sympathy to Linda and his family. His friendship and kindness will be missed by us all.

The New York Times – Sunday, 7-11-1999:

McKEAN-Quincy Adams Shaw, Jr. of Rumson, New Jersey, died suddenly of a heart attack on Thursday, July 8, 1999. Wonderful husband, loving father, tremendous grandfather, great friend. Son of Q.A. Shaw McKean and Margarett Hunnewell Sargent, graduate St. Paul School, Harvard College, Columbia Law School. Senior partner and former head of New York City office of Scudder, Stevens and Clark, investment counsel firm. Served as Board President & Treasurer of Fountain House, international organization reaching people with mental illness. Trustee and chair of Human Resources for Meridian Health Systems and Meridian Hospital Corporation. Survived by his wife Linda Huntington Borden, his children Cressida Sargent McKean(Borthwick), Quincy A.S. III and Jocko Borden McKean, his grandchildren: Hanna, Ian, Amanda, Lucas, Quinny, and Jack. Also survived by his sister Margarett McKean Vernon, his brother, Henry P. McKean II, & his half brothers, John Winthrop McKean, Thomas McKean, Robert Winthrop McKean and David McKean. His late sister was Jenny McKean Moore. A service will be held on Tuesday, July 13th, at St. Georges by-the-River, 10 Waterman Avenue, Rumson, NJ at 11 AM. In lieu of flowers, contributions to Fountain House (425 West 47th Street, N.Y. N.Y. 10036) would be welcome.

Asbury Park Press (Neptune, NJ) – Monday, 7-12-1999:

QUINCY ADAMS SHAW MCKEAN JR., 74, of RUMSON, died Thursday in Boston. He was a graduate of St. Paul School, Harvard College and Columbia Law School. He was a senior partner and former head of the New York City office of Scudder, Stevens and Clark investment counsel firm. He served as board president and treasurer of Fountain House, an international organization reaching people with mental illness. He was a trustee and chair of human resources for Meridian Health Systems and Meridian Hospital Corp. Born in Boston, he moved to Rumson in 1955.

He was predeceased by his parents, Quincy Adams Shaw McKean and Margarett Hunnewell Sargent, and his sister, Jenny McKean Moore. Surviving are his wife, Linda Huntington Borden two sons, Quincy Adams Shaw III and Jocko Borden McKean one daughter, Cressida Sargent McKean six grandchildren, Hanna, Ian, Amanda, Lucas, Quinny and Jack his sister, Margarett McKean Vernon his brother, Henry P. McKean II and four half-brothers, John Winthrop McKean, Thomas McKean, Robert Winthrop McKean and David McKean.

A service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at St George’s by the River, 10 Waterman Ave., Rumson. In lieu of flowers, contributions would be welcome to Fountain House, 425 W. 47th St., New York, NY 10036.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Thursday, 3-17-1898:



Of a Family That Has Contributed Much to the Advancement of the City

Thomas McKean, who has been seriously ill at his home, No. 1925 Walnut street, died last night.

Mr. McKean belonged to one of the oldest, richest, and most famous families of this city. He was born here on November 28, 1842. His father was the late Henry Pratt McKean, who was married to Phoebe Elizabeth Warren, of Troy, N.Y. His great-grandfather was Thomas McKean, who was one of the leading men of his day, having been a signer of the Declaration of Independence, Chief Justice and Governor of Pennsylvania.

Mr. McKean received his early education at a private school and entered the University of Pennsylvanian in 1858, from which he graduated in 1862. After his graduation he entered upon a business career. He married Elizabeth, daughter of George Mifflin Wharton. There are four children, Henry Pratt McKean, Thomas McKean, Jr., Mrs. Benjamin Curtis Allen and Mrs. Norton Davis.

Mr. McKean occupied a leading position in this city socially and financially. He was president of the Germantown Cricket Club, and was among the most prominent members of the Philadelphia Club, Rittenhouse Club, Art Club, Colonial Club, Country Club, University Club, Merion Cricket Club, Union League, Philadelphia Kennel Club, Philadelphia Horse Show Association, Rabbit Club, Radnor Hunt, Philadelphia Gun Club, Pennsylvania Historical Society, Sons of the Revolution, and an honorary member of the Philadelphia Cricket Club. All his life he took a great interest in the Germantown Cricket Club, and was an active supporter of the game of cricket in Philadelphia. In 1895 he was elected a trustee of the University of Pennsylvania, in which institution he always took a lively interest. His gifts to it have been frequent and very liberal, aggregating about $300,000, the last of them being $100,000, given in November last, towards the fund for the erection of the new Law School building of the University. The great hall of this building is to be called the Thomas McKean Hall, in honor of Mr. McKean’s distinguished ancestor, and will be adorned by a magnificent portrait of the Chief Justice, painted by Vonnoh, at Mr. McKean’s orders. Mr. McKean was a classmate of Provost Harrison, a prominent member of the Zeta Psi Fraternity, and was at one time president of the Philadelphia Association of the Zeta Psi. During his early business life he was a member of the old firm of McKean, Borie & Co., of which his father was the head. He was also connected with a number of the leading financial institutions of this city, was president of the North Pennsylvania Railroad Company, a director of the Reading Railway, the Lehigh Valley Railroad, and the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company, and a director of the following financial institutions: The Insurance Company of North America, Fidelity Insurance, Trust and Safe Deposit Company, and the Philadelphia Saving Fund Society.

In the winter Mr. McKean lived at No. 1925 Walnut street, and his summer residence was a fine old country place near the Germantown Cricket Club grounds, in Germantown, called Fern Hill. He also had an extensive “camp” on the lakes of Northern Maine.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Wednesday, 9-3-1879:

Captain William B. McKean, of the United States Marine Corps, who has several relatives in this city, was killed on Saturday morning last by being thrown from his horse at his plantation, near Cobham, Albermarle county, Va. He was born in this city in 1810, and was the son of Commodore Wm. B. McKean, of the United States Navy, and great grandson of Thomas McKean, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.


Dallas Morning News Historical Archive – Monday, 12-4-1905:


Former Consul at Amoy, China, Dies at Cripple Creek.

Cripple Creek, Colo., Dec 3 — Dr. Ernest J. Meiere, who was surgeon in the United States Army when the Civil War broke out, but went over to the Confederacy, died here today of pneumonia, aged 75 years. Dr. Meiere was appointed consul at Amoy, China, in 1889, by President Cleveland, but resigned, it was said, because President Cleveland demanded he apologize to an army officer whom the Doctor struck for refusing his proffered hand in Washington when meeting him on the street.

Dr. Meiere was a member of a prominent Maryland family and was married to a daughter of Admiral Buchanan. President Lincoln presented the bride at the wedding. Dr. Meiere had lived in Colorado twenty years, practicing medicine here and at Leadville. Two children survive him.


The New York Times – Friday, 5-2-2003:

Episcopal Bishop Paul Moore Jr., 83, Dies; Strong Voice on Social and Political Issues

By Ari L. Goldman

Paul Moore Jr., the retired Episcopal bishop of New York who for more than a decade was the most formidable liberal Christian voice in the city, died yesterday at home in Greenwich Village. He was 83.

In recent months, the bishop had said that he was suffering from lung and brain cancer. Bishop Moore spoke out against corporate greed, racism, military spending and for more assistance to the nation’s poor, pursuing his political and social agenda in both the city and within the national Episcopal denomination. He was an early advocate of women’s ordination and, in 1977, was the first Episcopal bishop to ordain a gay woman as an Episcopal priest.

Serving from 1972 to 1989, he was the 13th Episcopal bishop of the Diocese of New York, which today covers about 65,000 Episcopalians in 203 congregations in Manhattan, the Bronx, Staten Island and the counties of Westchester, Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan and Ulster.

The numbers are small compared with the more influential Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, which covers roughly the same geographical territory. But the Episcopal church — part of the worldwide Anglican tradition — had long been one of the city’s most visible denominations, in part because of its massive gothic cathedral in Upper Manhattan and because the church had traditionally been the home to some of the city’s most prominent families, among them the Astors, DuPonts, Morgans, Vanderbilts, Mellons and Roosevelts.

During his tenure, Bishop Moore transformed the seat of the diocese, the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, at 112th Street and Amsterdam Avenue, from a moribund backwater church to a place where peacocks roamed, orchestras performed, elephants lumbered, inner city youth found jobs and the homeless slept in supervised shelters.

He opened the cathedral for rallies against racism and on behalf of nuclear disarmament. Some of his critics asserted that the bishop had used the church for political purposes, but Bishop Moore said that religion and progressive social policies were inexorably linked.

Bishop Moore argued for his agenda in the most Christian of terms, refusing to cede Biblical language to the Christian right. Although he retired as bishop in 1989, he continued to speak out, taking to the pulpit of his former church as recently as March 24, even as illness overtook him, to protest the war in Iraq. “It appears we have two types of religion here,” the bishop said, aiming his sharpest barbs at President Bush. “One is a solitary Texas politician who says, ‘I talk to Jesus, and I am right.’ The other involves millions of people of all faiths who disagree.”

He added: “I think it is terrifying. I believe it will lead to a terrible crack in the whole culture as we have come to know it.”

Bishop Moore was unrepentant in his liberalism, even as many others, and the city as a whole, moved increasingly to the right in the 1980’s. For example, he gave the invocation at the swearing-in ceremony for his friend Edward I. Koch as mayor in 1978 but within a short time was sparring with the mayor over the issue of housing.

Mr. Koch accused the bishop of being a “knee-jerk liberal”; Bishop Moore called the mayor’s ideas about homelessness “naive and dangerous.”

Bishop Moore also clashed with Cardinal John J. O’Connor, the late Roman Catholic archbishop of New York, over the issue of legal protection for homosexuals. In time, Cardinal O’Connor overshadowed Bishop Moore as the city’s most outspoken Christian voice, though one that was far more conservative. In 1986, Cardinal O’Connor opposed the city’s gay rights legislation, which was adopted later that year.

Bishop Moore, however, said that it was “morally wrong” to be against equal rights for all citizens.

Bishop Moore later acknowledged that his rhetoric was strong, but added, “In this city you have to speak strongly to be heard.”

Probably the most well-known example of Bishop Moore’s proclivity to speak strongly came a decade earlier, in 1976, at the height of the city’s fiscal crisis, when New York was staring at bankruptcy. In a fiery sermon from the pulpit of St. John the Divine on Easter Sunday that year, the bishop accused corporations that were abandoning the city of “betrayal,” saying that they were perpetuating a cycle of unemployment, crime and economic decline. He likened them to “rats leaving a sinking ship.”

“Look over your city and weep, for your city is dying,” he said, echoing the biblical prophet Jeremiah. “In sections of the Bronx, Brooklyn and Harlem, great hulks of buildings stand abandoned and burned.”

“We of the religious community will not stand by as this betrayal of the city takes place,” he added to a congregation that included some of the city’s captains of industry.

He laid down this charge: “Cut through the fog of statistics and see the moral decisions behind them. Be part of the rising, not the dying!”

While he became synonymous with liberal political views, Bishop Moore was a traditionalist when it came to church liturgy, representing those members of the Episcopal church who highly value the sacraments, above all the Lord’s Supper. “The Eucharist was at the very center of Paul’s spirituality,” said Dr. R. William Franklin, a friend of Bishop Moore’s who now serves as the scholar in residence at St. John the Divine. “He loved the very ritualistic celebration of the Eucharist because it gave a sense of God’s healing and liberating presence in the world. He made the liberating vision a political reality. It was something that people around him could touch.”

Bishop Moore was married in 1944 to Jenny McKean, with whom he had nine children. She died in 1973. In 1975, Bishop Moore married Brenda Hughes, who died in 1999. He is survived by his children, Honor of Manhattan; Paul of Berkeley, Calif.; Adelia of Hartford; Rosemary of Brooklyn; George of Oaxaca, Mexico; Marian of Minneapolis; Daniel of Los Angeles; Susanna of Berkeley, Calif.; and Patience of Nashville; and 19 grandchildren.

Paul Moore’s early life does not immediately suggest an affinity for the kinds of social issues that he would later champion. He was born on Nov. 15, 1919, in Morristown, N.J., to a family of wealth and prominence. His grandfather was one of the founders of Bankers Trust. His father was a good friend of Senator Prescott Bush, whose son, George H. W. Bush, and grandson, George W. Bush, would become United States presidents.

Paul Moore spent winters in Palm Beach, Fla., and summers on the Massachusetts shore. He once told an interviewer that he was virtually unaware of poverty until the family’s chauffeured limousine passed bread lines during the Great Depression. His reaction, he recalled, was to hide on the floor of the limousine in shame.

He attended the St. Paul’s prep school in Concord, N.H., then went to Yale. During World War II, while serving as Marine captain, he was seriously wounded on Guadalcanal by a bullet that narrowly missed his heart. For his service, he was awarded the Navy Cross, the Silver Star and the Purple Heart. He was discharged in 1945 and entered General Theological Seminary in New York to study for the ministry. He was ordained in 1949.

Standing 6 feet 4 — something of a human rallying pole — he became the consummate urban priest. His first parish was Grace Church Van Vorst in a run-down section of Jersey City. “We brought landlords to court,” he recalled in an interview. “We integrated public housing. We made a lot of speeches and we held a lot of street demonstrations. We collected petitions against police brutality and did other stuff that wasn’t so common in those days.”

From Jersey City, he become dean of the Episcopal Cathedral in Indianapolis, where he served from 1957 to 1964. He was then appointed a bishop and served the Washington diocese. In his years in Washington, he picketed the White House, lectured Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey on the importance of protecting civil rights marchers in the South and organized a rock festival at the National Cathedral.

In 1970 he came to New York, serving first as suffragan bishop and, in 1972, as the diocese’s bishop. One of his first appointments as bishop was to name the Rev. James Parks Morton as dean of St. John the Divine.

Together, the bishop and the dean went about the business of reviving the Episcopal cathedral, opening the 13-acre campus in Morningside Heights to different cultures, races, religions and the arts.

Worship at the cathedral, while at the core an Episcopal Mass, would sometimes incorporate Zen Buddhist meditations, African chants and Jewish klezmer music. Speakers from across the religious spectrum came there, from the Dalai Lama to the Rev. Jesse Jackson to Rabbi Marshall T. Meyer, the liberal Jewish leader who died in 1993.

The cathedral became the home to liturgical dance companies, a homeless shelter, a biblical garden — complete with free-roaming peacocks — and, for a time, the Big Apple Circus. For the cathedral’s 100th anniversary, in 1986, Philippe Petit, the French aerialist, was named the artist in residence, and he performed high above the stone floor at the celebration.

Perhaps Bishop Moore’s most dramatic decision was to resume building on the cathedral, which had ceased during World War II, when iron and steel were scarce because of the needs of the armed forces. He hired a master stonemason from England to train young residents of Morningside Heights, Harlem and Newark to work on finishing the cathedral.

Construction started in 1982 on an ambitious project that addressed many of the issues close to the bishop’s heart — employment, equal opportunity and job training — but it was halted a few years later when financing ran out. The cathedral remains unfinished.

Some felt that Bishop Moore overreached in his stewardship of St. John the Divine, but he made no apologies.

“There are two historical images of the cathedral,” he once said. “The English Cathedral is a thing of great beauty set apart on a hillside. You go there for quiet and peace and to withdraw from the world. The other image is the Italian or French model, where the cathedral is right smack bam in the middle of the city, with all its life and dirt and struggle. Ours combines both. We are a medieval cathedral for New York City.”

The Villager Online:

Paul Moore, Jr., Episcopal bishop, is dead at 83

Paul Moore, Jr., retired Episcopal bishop of New York and a Village resident for the past 12 years, died at his home on Bank St. on Thurs. May 1 at the age of 83.

He was ill for the past several months with lung cancer and brain cancer, according to friends in the Village.

Just before his last sermon as a guest preacher at St. Mark’s Church-in-the-Bowery on Palm Sunday, April 13, he led the church’s traditional procession of clergy and worshipers through the neighborhood on the arms of friends.

Keith Crandell, a member of St. Mark’s and a columnist for The Villager wrote: “Later, inside the church, he moved slowly to the lectern supported by Rev. Michael Relyea and Rev. Julio Torres, pastor of St. Mark’s … He began speaking tentatively from a prepared text, bemoaning the tragic war in Iraq. He paused and smiled out at the congregation, seemingly finding it difficult to continue. ‘Peace,’ he said, and then began to apologize … From the back of the church came the vigorous call to Bishop Moore [from parishioner Frank Morales] ‘We love you,’ … The call of love was echoed through the church on a wave of applause as Bishop Moore took his seat.”

Since his retirement as bishop, Rev. Moore served as guest preacher at St. John’s in the Village and St. Luke’s-in-the-Fields as well as St. Mark’s. An imposing figure even in his illness, he stood 6 ft. 4 in.

An outspoken and controversial clergyman, he was at the forefront of antiwar protests, social justice, gay and lesbian rights and a leader in the ordination of women in the Episcopal clergy. Preaching from Episcopal pulpits in churches where the families of industrialists worshipped, he was a scourge of corporate greed.

Born to a socially prominent and wealthy family (his grandfather was Bankers Trust’s founder) in Morristown, N.J., he went to St. Paul’s prep school and Yale. During World War II as a Marine captain, he was wounded at Guadalcanal and earned the Navy Cross and Silver Star as well as the Purple Heart.

In 1945, he entered General Theological Seminary in Chelsea to study for the ministry and was ordained in 1949. He married Jenny McKean in 1944 and they had nine children. She died in 1973.

One of his daughters, Rosemary Moore, a playwright who lives in Brooklyn, recalled a family life full of excitement and change as Paul Moore, Jr., moved from parishes in Jersey City to Indianapolis and then, as bishop, to the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., where he served from 1964 to 1970.

“We were always going on marches,” Rosemary Moore recalled. “He passed on to us a deep passion for social justice which I’m passing on to my children.” He came to New York as suffragan bishop at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in 1970 and served as bishop of the New York diocese from 1973 to 1989.

He and the cathedral’s dean, John Morton Parks, whom he had first known in Jersey City, transformed St. John the Divine into a modern equivalent of a medieval cathedral and resumed construction on the huge church, which had ceased because of World War II.

Paul Moore’s and Dean Parks’ cathedral incorporated traditional worship into programs that included Philippe Petite, the French aerialist, as artist in residence, lectures by the Dalai Lama and Rev. Jesse Jackson, dance companies, a temporary home for the Big Apple Circus and the offices of Urban Homestead, a not-for-profit housing developer.

He retired as bishop in 1989, but his activity in liberal causes continued until his death. Brenda Hughes, whom he married in 1975, died in 1999. In addition to his six daughters and three sons, he is survived by 19 grandchildren.


The Washington Post (DC) – Friday, 4-21-1995:

Beauveau Borie Nalle, 67, a retired Foreign Service officer, died April 18 at Suburban Hospital after a stroke.

Mr. Nalle, who lived in Chevy Chase, was born in Philadelphia. He drove an ambulance in London during World War II and served in the Army after the war.

He graduated from the University of Virginia and received a master’s degree in international relations from the Johns Hopkins School for Advanced International Studies. As a young man, he taught at Roberts College in Istanbul.

During his Foreign Service career, he served in Washington, Turkey, Uganda, Liberia and Belize and with the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees in Geneva. He retired in 1988 after 34 years of service.

Mr. Nalle was an ornithologist and bird watcher, and he had traveled and written extensively in pursuit of his avocation.

His wife, Sheila Nalle, died in 1992.

Survivors include two daughters, Elizabeth Nalle of Annandale and Ann Nalle of Chevy Chase; two brothers, Jesse Nalle of Southport, Conn., and Peter Nalle of Greenwich, Conn.; and two grandsons.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Tuesday, 5-21-1878:

Obituary – ROBERT PETTIT, U.S.N.

Commandant’s Office, U.S. Navy Yard,

League Island, Pa, May 20, 1878

Special Notice

It becomes the sad duty of the commandant to announce to the officers attached to this station the death of Pay Director ROBERT PETTIT, U.S. Navy, who departed this life on the 19th inst.

The deceased was born in Pennsylvania, and entered the naval service in 1837; was attached to the U.S. sloop Falmouth, Pacific Squadron, 1839-42; Naval Asylum, Philadelphia, 1842-3; at sea, 1843-4; Naval Asylum, Philadelphia 1845-6; at sea, 1847-9; receiving ship, New York, 1850-2: frigate Cumberland, Mediterranean Squadron, 1852-5; steam frigate Minnesota, East India Squadron, 1857-60; steam frigate Minnesota Atlantic coast, 1861-2; special duty, Philadelphia, 1863-4; special duty, 1865-6; president Board of Examiners, Philadelphia, 1867; special duty, Philadelphia, 1867-9; paymaster, Philadelphia, 1870-3: promoted to pay director March 3, 1871.

He was one of the oldest officers in the navy; upright and conscientious in the performance of his duties; greatly beloved and respected by all who knew him, and his death will be lamented by many devoted friends.

The officers of the Navy and Marine Corps, attached and unattached to this station, are respectfully invited to attend the funeral services of the deceased, at his late residence, No. 1509 Walnut street, on Wednesday, May 22, at 11 A.M. punctually in undress uniform, cap, blue pantaloons and sword, without eppuletts.

Pierce Crosby,

Commodore Commandant

The Philadelphia Inquirer – Tuesday, 5-21-1878:

The Death of Pay Director Pettit

The funeral of Robert Pettit, a retired pay director in the United States Navy, whose death was announced yesterday, will take place tomorrow morning from his late residence, No. 1509 Walnut street. Deceased was born in this city February 19, 1804, and belonged to a well known family, being a son of Andrew Pettit, for many years an alderman of the city, a brother of the late Hon. Thomas M. Pettit, and a descendant of Governor Thomas McKean. After leaving school he was engaged for a few years in mercantile business in the counting house of one of the principal shipping merchants of that day. In the year 1827 he was one of the engineer corps in the service of the State under Major Wilson, on the preliminary survey of the Columbia railway, and was continuously engaged on the location and construction of that road until its completion in 18×4.

He entered the United States Navy, April 6, 1837, and was engaged on sea service about thirteen years and on short duty about fifteen years, having been unemployed about thirteen years. His last cruise ended in November, 1862, subsequent to which he was placed on the retired list. He was highly esteemed by his associates in naval as well as civil life, and sustained the character of a courteous, honorable and Christian gentleman. The lives of such men are valued contributions to the moral and religious influence of the social circle in which they move. The deaths are deeply to be deplored as a grievous loss, unless the force of their good example shall outlive them and prove a legacy to succeeding generations.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Thursday, 08-2-1906:

News of the death of Mrs. Sarah Pettit Wilson in London, July 28, has reached relatives in this city. She was the widow of Joseph M. Wilson, and went in May to London to visit her daughter, Mrs. John F. Gibson, who is now accompanying the body home. The funeral will be held from the home of Henry W. Wilson, of 909 Clinton street.


Morning World-Herald – Friday, 11-30-1906


President Spencer, Charles D. Fisher, Philip Schuyler, Francis T. Redwood and Three Others Are Killed

Private Car Takes Fire and Body of the Head Officer of the Road is Burned Beyond Recognition.

Lynchburg, Va., Nov 29.–Samuel Spencer, president of the Southern Railway company and recognized as one of the foremost men in the development of the southern states, and six other persons were killed and eleven others injured early this morning in a rear-end collision between two fast passenger trains ten miles south of Lynchburg and a mile north of Lawyers depot. Philip Schuyler, a retired capitalist of New York, was among the killed, together with other guests of Mr. Spencer. Of those on Mr. Spencer’s car, only Mr. Spencer’s private secretary, E.A. Merrill of New York, and one of three porters, survived the accident.

The dead:

Samuel Spencer, New York.

Charles D. Fisher, Baltimore

Philip Schuyler, New York.

Francis T. Redwood, Baltimore

D.W. Davis, Alexandria, Va., private dispatcher to President Spencer.

J.W. Shaw, colored, Spencer, N.C. fireman.

An unknown person, whose head and limbs are burned off short, believed to be a third porter on the private car, who is missing. His name cannot be learned.

The injured:

Lucretia Allen, colored, Danville, Va., leg cut off and arm broken.

William J. Winston, New York; leg broken.

Garland Thomas, colored, Greensboro, N.C, leg broken.

P.E. Vausl, colored, Waynesboro, Va. crushed.

Cora Logan, colored, Shelby, N.C. both legs broken.

Sam Cox, colored, porter on the private car, leg broken.

John W. Cruett, Baltimore, supreme organizer of the Heptasophs, back badly wrenched.

“Son Hoglan, colored, Charlotte, N.C. bruised.

E.A. Merrill, New York, private secretary to Samuel Spencer, head and arms bruised, will recover.

William Pollard, colored, porter on President Spencer’s car.

Preston Bane, address unknown.

Spencer’s Body Barely Recognizable.

The collision was between the Jacksonville Express and the Washington & Southwestern vestibuled limited, both southbound. President Spencer and his entire party, as far as is known, were sleeping when the collision occurred and the probabilities are that all of them, except Dispatcher Davis, were killed instantly. It is certain that life was extinct before the flames touched them. President Spencer’s body was burned almost beyond recognition, as was that of Mr. Fisher. The body of Mr. Schuyler was recovered before it was burned very much. President Spencer’s car was attached to the rear of the Jacksonville train, which was standing still when struck.

Mr. Spencer’s destination was Friendship, N.C., where he was going on a hunting trip with Messrs. Schuyler, Fisher, Redwood and Merrill as his guests.

President Spencer’s charred corpse was found under the big locomotive of the rear train. So great was the force of the impact that the forward train was sent at least 150 feet ahead. Until the debris had burned itself out and the engine cooled off the bodies could not be removed.

The combination car of the rear train crashed into the express car ahead of it. Forty feet of it was splintered, leaving the rest of the car strewn with tons of baggage and colored passengers who were jammed back by the express car. How the negro passengers in this part of the train escaped death is beyond explanation.

The wreck occurred on the crest of a steep grade when the Atlanta train could not have been running more than thirty miles an hour, if so fast. Had it been a mile or two further south the number of dead might have been frightful, as the train was about two hours behind its schedule, a condition, taken the down grade, that would have meant a speed of more than sixty miles an hour. It was reported at first that Engineer Kinney of Spencer, N.C., who was in charge of the engine of the Atlanta train, was killed, but this proved incorrect. He suffered only a few bruises and cuts.

The collision was between train No. 33, the Jacksonville express, and No. 37, the Washington and Southwester vestibule limited, both southbound. The former train had stopped at the top of a heavy grade to repair a slight breakdown and the other train dashed into it before a flagman could get back to give a warning. The heavy engine of the train plowed into Mr. Spencer’s car, which immediately caught fire. The wreckage was piled around the engine and every portion of the woodwork on the engine was burned and the engine itself torn and twisted into a useless mass of debris.

Dispatcher Davis Crushed

Dispatcher Davis was alive when taken from the wreck. He was crushed about the lower part of his body and was conscious to the end. He stated to his rescuer that he knew he was dying. “Place your finger on my mouth,” he said. “It feels so cool and good.”

In response to this wishes a fellow passenger remained with him for ten minutes until he saw nothing more could be done for Davis.

Passengers were taken from the combination car of the forward train. They were literally covered with heavy baggage thrown through the partition from the baggage compartment. Most of them were badly hurt and all sustained cuts and bruises.

The rescue work was begun as soon as the news of the wreck was received here. A special train was quickly made up and doctors hurried to the scene. A fire engine from the Lynchburg department was sent to the wreck, but on account of a conflagration it was not dispatched until 8:30 o’clock and did not reach the accident until an hour and a half later, because the relief train with the injured passengers had the right-of-way on the track between the wreck and Rangoon, the nearest telegraph office.

The Jacksonville train was composed of a mail car, combination baggage, and passenger coach, two Pullmans and President Spencer’s car, which was at the rear. The sleeper in front of Mr. Spencer’s car was wrecked, but not burned. The regular day coach and a forward Pullman were practically uninjured, but the combination coach, second from the engine, was crushed, and it was in this car that all the negroes among the wounded were hurt. They were unable to escape from the baggage hurled upon them and many would have died but for the rescue work, in which F.M. Curtis of Jamestown, N.Y., a passenger on the Jacksonville train, took a conspicuous part.

Thieves Rob Passengers

It was reported several persons ransacked the cars for plunder. Some of the passengers are said to have participated in this and a large amount of valuables and money scattered among the debris was taken. Mr. Curtis says he saw a porter search a woman’s grip, throw away things of no value to him and take those things he wanted. Mr. Curtis declares he would have killed the porter had he had a weapon.

Coroner G.W. Davis, at the request of the Southern officials, went to the wreck to hold an inquest, but found the bodies had been removed. He would not say tonight what steps would be taken.

The Jacksonville express had the right-of-way in the block. The engine broke away from the train and proceeded a mile beyond Lawyers before the engineer noticed he was without a train. It may be that when he passed Lawyers the operator there gave Rangoon a clear block without noticing whether the rear end markers were visible before he did so. In the absence of an official statement, except that the operator at Rangoon was at fault, this explanation is being accepted here. It is possible that the Rangoon operator let the train into the block on orders from Lawyers that the track was clear, the operators thinking the trainless engine cleared the track, and the second train was not past Rangoon when it was discovered. Should evidence show the Lawyer operator gave a clear track without noticing the absence of rear end markers, then the cause of the accident was at Lawyers. Only an official investigation will reveal this.

At 10:30 tonight it was ascertained from the reliable source that D.J. Maddux, the operator at Rangoon, who was on duty at the time of the accident, had disappeared. Railway officials are trying to locate him.


Mr. Redwood came from a distinguished Virginia family. He, like Mr. Fisher, was prominent in the financial and business world. President Spencer, from his long connection with the Baltimore & Ohio – 1872 to 1899 – had a wide acquaintance here. In railroad circles, particularly, the greatest regret was expressed at his death. The Baltimoreans joined Mr. Spencer on the train here last night and had planned to spend several days hunting in North Carolina.


Remains of Victims of Wrecked Train Brought in on Special.

Washington, D.C., Nov 29.–The special train bringing the corpses of victims of the Southern Railway collision arrived at 10:40 tonight. It carried the bodies of President Samuel Spencer, Philip Schuyler of New York, Charles D. Fisher and Frank T. Redwood of Baltimore and an unidentified negro porter. The body of D. Watts Davis, the telegraph operator, was taken off the train at Alexandria.

On the train were the officials who went to Lawyers upon receiving notice of the wreck and others met them here.

A brief conference was held by the officials with friends of the victims. It was stated that the body of Mr. Schuyler would be sent to New York on the night train in charge of a representative of the Southern railway, and the bodies of Messrs. Fisher and Redwood, the Baltimore men, would be sent to Baltimore in the morning.

The body of President Spencer was taken in charge by a local undertaker, and nothing will be determined concerning the funeral arrangements until the members of the family have been consulted.

Officials of the road, when asked tonight if there was any statement to be made, replied that they were all overwhelmed with grief at the loss of their president.

H.B. Spencer, the son of the president and sixth vice president of the road, was coming north at the time of the disaster, and reached the wreck about two hours after its occurrence. He left there so as to reach Washington in time to meet his mother, who had been summoned from New York, and arrived here at 8:30 o’clock tonight.

Dallas Morning News Historical Archive – Saturday, 12-1-1906:

Thanksgiving Plans Spoiled

Operator of Spencer’s Train Asked to Be Excused

Washington, Nov 30 – The bodies of Charles D. Fisher and Francis T. Redwood, both of Baltimore, who were killed in the collision at Lawyer, Va., when President Samuel Spencer of the Southern Railway lost his life, were sent to that city early today.

D.W. Davis, the telegraph operator, who was one of those killed, was frequently detailed to accompany higher officials of the road on such trips as the one that ended his life yesterday. It is said that when he was notified he would be expected to accompany President Spencer and party on this occasion he asked to be relieved stating that it was the desire of his wife and himself to spend Thanksgiving with her parents in Alexandria but it could not be arranged.


Intelligencer Journal (Lancaster, PA) – Tuesday, 7-15-1997:

Arthur Brock Sinkler Jr., 60, of 3014-A Spring Hill Parkway, Smyrna, Ga., formerly of Lancaster, died Wednesday in his Atlanta office.

The Gwinett County medical examiner’s office determined that he died of natural causes.

He and his wife, Sally Beattie Sinkler, were married 36 years in November.

A 1955 graduate of Lancaster Country Day School, Sinkler graduated in 1959 from the University of Virginia, where he was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Tuesday, 6-6-1899:

George Trott, whose death occurred on Sunday at 1102 Spruce street, was a graduate of Harvard College with the class which included Thomas Motley and George Bancroft, the historians, and Templeman Coolidge.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Saturday, 8-18-1900:

Mrs. Sarah McKean Hazlehurst died yesterday morning suddenly at Atlantic City of heart failure. She was a daughter of George Trott, niece of Adolph Borie, Secretary of War under President Grant, and great-granddaughter of Thomas McKean, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. Her three surviving children are Mrs. Daniel Lamont, Miss Alice Hazlehurst and Mrs. Henry McKean Hazlehurst.

Following college, he worked for Merrill Lynch in Washington, D.C.

A veteran, he served with the U.S. Army Reserves.

A call to active duty during the Berlin Wall crisis sent him to an Army base in Georgia. When the crisis passed, he rejoined Merrill Lynch in Atlanta.

Later, he was manager of the Atlanta office of the former Eastman Dillon Co. He was also former president of the Georgia Association of Securities Dealers.

At the time of his death, he worked for C.I.R. Realty, Atlanta.

He was a member of Trinity Presbyterian Church, Atlanta.

Born in Lancaster, he was the son of the late Arthur B. and Elizabeth Clark Sinkler. Surviving, in addition to his wife, are a daughter, Catherine Sinkler Cotsakis of Atlanta; three sons, Arthur Brock III and Scott Conway, both of Atlanta, and Clark Beattie of Greensboro, N.C.; three grandchildren; a sister, Eleanor of Tunbridge, Vt.; and a brother, George of Ambler.


The Philadelphia Inquirer – Thursday, 1-17-1884:

Robert Buchanan Wade, of St. Louis, late of the United States Army, son of Colonel R.D.A. Wade, in his fortieth year, after a lingering illness, entered into rest.


The New York Times – Saturday, 2-22-1997:

Katharine Winthrop McKean, an outstanding amateur tennis player of the 1930’s and 1940’s, died on Feb. 12 at her home in Hamilton, Mass. She was 82.

Mrs. McKean won four national junior girls’ tennis titles, playing out of Boston, and five national women’s titles, in indoors singles and doubles. She was named to the New England Tennis Hall of Fame in 1990.

She was a doubles partner of Alice Marble at Wimbledon in 1936 and toured South America in the years before World War II with Sarah Palfrey, Jack Kramer and Bobby Riggs.

Mrs. McKean was also active in horse racing and golf. She and her husband, Quincy Adams Shaw McKean, who died in 1971, owned thoroughbred horses.

A native of Ipswich, Mass., she was a descendant of John Winthrop, the first Governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

She is survived by four sons, John, of Beverly, Mass., and Pinehurst, N.C.; Thomas, of Concord, Mass.; Robert, of Dedham, Mass., and David, of Washington; two stepsons, Shaw, of Rumson, N.J., and seven grandchildren.