Descendants of Mary Forsyth Obituaries


Register-Guard (Eugene, OR) – Sunday, 2-3-2008:

Nancy Ruth Vandercook of Eugene died Jan. 31 of age-related causes. She was 91. A private family service is planned.

She was born March 17, 1916, in Clever, Mo., to Charles and Myrtle Keeny Brown. She married Clarence Vandercook Jr., on July 31, 1946, in Red Bluff, Calif. He died on May 26, 1998.

Vandercook graduated from Drury College in 1941. She was a teacher in Missouri, California and Mapleton, and a homemaker.

Survivors include a daughter, Nancy Vandercook of Lake Oswego; a son, John Vandercook of Dallas, Texas; a sister, Irma Deaver of Springfield, Mo.; and three grandchildren.

Arrangements by Musgrove Family Mortuary in Eugene.


The Dallas Morning News (TX) – Wednesday, 5-4-2005:

FOUKE, JOHN ARTHUR, 57, of Dallas, passed away Monday, April 18, 2005, after a brief battle with liver cancer. John was born March 20, 1948, in Columbus, OH, and raised in Dayton, OH. He was the son of Arthur Edward Fouke, MD, and June M. Fouke and was the 2nd of three children. His father preceded him in death. John was a graduate of Fairmont West High School (1966), Kettering, OH. He was also a graduate of The Ohio State University (1973) and was a member of Sigma Chi Fraternity. Survivors include his loving partner of 5 years, Newell Babcock; mother, June M. Fouke, Pensacola, FL; sister, Judith F. Park and brother-in-law William I. Park III, M.D., Mobile, AL; brother, Jerry E. Fouke, Dallas, TX; four nephews, four nieces, 1 great nephew and 2 great-nieces. Memorial services will be held at 3:00 PM, Saturday, May 7, at Martin United Methodist Church, 2621 Bedford Road, Bedford, TX 76021.


Austin American-Statesman (TX) – Thursday, 1-29-1998:

LaVerne Vandercook Lambdin, age 89, of Austin, Texas passed away on Tuesday, January 27, 1998.

Born in Kansas City, she was raised in Texas, Mississippi, Georgia and Washington State. After graduating from Brenau University, she did graduate work at the University of Washington. She became a school teacher and married Willard Clark Lambdin (Bill) on October 12, 1934. After moving to Austin in 1952, she taught at the Texas State School for the Blind for many years. Mrs. Lambdin was very active up until her recent visit to the hospital. She enjoyed keeping up on current events and following the lives of her family and grandchildren. Mrs. Lambdin was an active member of the First United Methodist Church Couples Class, which she and her husband joined in 1952. She enjoyed needle pointing for many years and has provided her family with many pieces which will be treasured.

She was preceded in death by her parents, son, William Tilghman Lambdin IV, and her sister, Maxine Vandercook Reagh.

She is survived by her daughter, Ann Lambdin Cooper, son-in-law M. Don Cooper and daughter-in-law, Lyle Lambdin, all of Austin. She was blessed with eight grandchildren, Diane Lee and her husband, Bryan, of Austin, Nina King and her husband, Kevin, of San Francisco, William T. Lambdin and his fiancee, Candace Newell, of Austin, Catherine Hay and her husband, Mike, of Austin, Susan Cooper and her fiance, Kevin Haley, of Baltimore, Todd Lambdin of Charlotte, Buford Barr and his wife, Jen, of Houston, Beth Seevers and her husband, Randy, of Sacramento; and four great-grandchildren, Jonathan Lee of Austin and Breanna, Brandon and Rhett Seevers of Sacramento. Mrs. Lambdin is also survived by one brother, Clarence Vandercook Jr. and his wife, Ruth, of Eugene, Oregon; and one niece, Nancy Vandercook of Portland, Oregon; two nephews, John Vandercook of Dallas and John Reagh and his wife, Kathryn, and their daughter, Elizabeth of Lake Stevens, Washington.

Honorary pallbearers will be the members of the First United Methodist Couples Class.

She was a great lady and will be greatly missed.

Services will be held graveside at 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, January 29, 1998 at Austin Memorial Park.

The family would like to express their thanks and appreciation for everyone’s support and prayers. Very special thanks go to the caring doctors, nurses and staff of the Emergency Room, ICU and 2-North Wing of Austin Diagnostic Medical Center.

Memorial contributions may be made to: Texas State Library Talking Book Program, P.O. Box 12927, Austin, Texas 78711, or a charity of choice.

Arrangements by Weed-Corley-Fish Funeral Home, 3125 N. Lamar, 452-8811.


Longview Daily News (WA) – Tuesday, 11-19-1935:


Wesley Vandercook, Sr., Pioneer Railroad Builder, Dies at Home of Son in Longview This Morning


Diary of War Veteran Reveals He Once Came Near Being Buried Alive; Funeral to be Wednesday.

Wesley Vandercook, Sr., pioneer railroad builder and one of the oldest Civil War veterans in the United States, has answered his last bugle call. He was the last surviving G. A. R. member in this city, insofar as is known.

Death early today summoned the 92-year-old retired Longview resident at the home of his son, Bogue Vandercook, at 1626 Twenty-first avenue.  His passing took from the community a beloved figure respected and admired for his great interest in the early development of Longview, his unfailing good humor, and active personality.  To the moment of his passing he possessed a keen awareness of national and international events and appeared in excellent health.  [The next line is unreadable – not even sure if there was any print there or not.]

The son of Abraham F. and Mary Forsythe Vandercook, the deceased was born in Pierce, Huron County, Ohio, May 8, 1843.  His boyhood was spent in that state. When the Civil War broke out in 1861, young Vandercook enlisted at the age of 19 in the 169th Ohio infantry at Fremont, O., refusing to permit his guardian to send what was then known as a “substitute” in his place.  The deceased often recalled that his guardian objected to his enlistment in the Northern army, and unsuccessfully attempted to persuade him to remain at home and give his rank over to another young man with a cash bonus, as was a frequent custom at the outbreak of hostilities.

Guard Reb Prisoners.

Mr. Vandercook served as a hospital steward under Col. Nat Haynes, and was stationed for a time on Johnson island on Lake Erie with a regiment assigned to guard rebel prisoners.  HIs diary observes candidly that the “war prisoners usually had better food than the soldiers” and that they often sent home for good food.

Later, the regiment was sent to Washington in cattle cars, enjoying only one meal enroute at Pittsburg.  From Washington the soldiers marched into Virginia and Mr. Vandercook spent an undetermined number of months with the Union forces on that front.  He was stricken with typhoid fever while in active service and once was (next line unreadable)..recorded this incident in humorous detail, relating that he crawled into a coffin to sleep and was almost nailed in before it was discovered he was still very much alive.

Mr. Vandercook cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1863 when the assassinated president was elected for a second term.

Following the close of the war, the deceased entered a civil engineering school at Troy, N.Y., in 1868.  Among his classmates were Cornelius Roosevelt, a distant relative of the present president, and Virgil Bogue, who later became a nationally famous city planner and life long friend of Mr. Vandercook.

Pioneered the West

After graduation Mr. Vandercook began his pioneer explorations in the rugged and wild west.  He spent several years in railroad location work when Iowa and Wisconsin were still frontiers.  One of his first assignments was locating a part of the Cheyenne-Northern railroad, known today as the Union Pacific. He also located the Rock Island and Pacific railroad from Des Moines to Council Bluffs, Iowa, about 1870.  It was about this time that the great railroad boom started.  Mr. Vandercook also observed in his diary that the latter railroad extended 150 miles through healthy forest land, and he also recalled the number of small towns that mushroomed into existence as the railroads progressed further west.

Mr. Vandercook then went to work in Springfield, Ill., helping to build the Springfield to Chicago branch of the Illinois Central railroad.

On March 31, 1871, the deceased was married to Miss Mary Forsythe (Errata: Wesley married Elizabeth “Libbie” Clagg and their wedding date was March 30, 1871.) at Clinton, Ill., and the young couple went to Wisconsin where Mr. Vandercook spent some time locating the Wisconsin Central railroad.  The couple lived in a log house during this time, and their only companions in the small community were Indians.  In July, 1872, they returned to Tiffin, O., and Mr. Vandercook was employed as one of the contractors on the Baltimore and Ohio railroad.  His work necessarily required a great deal of travel, and in the next few years Mr. and Mrs. Vandercook resided in Toledo, O., Springfield, Ill., and Wyoming.  Returning to Springfield in 1876, the deceased was employed with the Wabash railroad until 1882, when he went to Wyoming to work for the Cheyenne-Northern line.

Located California Roads

Later, he was associated with the Denver and Rio Grande railroad before returning to the Wabash line for a short period.  The couple came to the Pacific coast about 1890, [they likely divorced about 1890 and Libby remained in Illinois-Ed.] remaining about 10 years.  In that time Mr. Vandercook had charge of locating the southern California branch of the Santa Fe railroad from Los Angeles to San Diego.  At that time Los Angeles had only 10,000 inhabitants, but Mr. Vandercook recalls in his diary that even this number was then considered too many.  San Diego had a population of about 12,000 persons.

Following this work, Mr. Vandercook helped to build a railroad in what was then Indian territory.  The railroad was known as the Arkansas and Chocktaw line. When this job was completed, the deceased went to St. Louis to supervise erection of various exhibits at the World Fair, returning to Los Angeles in 1904 to open an office as consulting engineer.  He had remained on the Pacific coast since.

Mr. Vandercook’s achievements were unique in that he spent practically his entire life in his chosen profession, engineering.  Even after he retired and came to Longview in 1923, he still found enjoyment in assisting others in municipal problems, and while he preferred to work without recognition, friends here recall that he gave largely of his time and energy in solving various local engineering problems.  Members of the family observed that Mr. Vandercook, despite his advanced age, would wrestle with a difficult engineering assignment far into the night, and go back the next day and often many days determined to find the solution.  He took a conscientious interest in all phases of engineering, and no task ever seemed too large to complete.

Mrs. Vandercook passed away in 1925.  Since the couple [just Wesley-Ed.] came to Longview, they had made their home with a son, Wesley, Jr., builder of the Longview-Rainier Columbia river bridge.

Other survivors are four sons, Volney of Springfield, Ralph of Ft. Pierce, South Dakota, Clarence of Ryderwood, and Bogue of Longview.  A daughter, Mrs. Susan Gibbs, resides in Brighton, Ill.  There are ten grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the chapel of the Steele funeral home, with the Rev. E.H. Gebert officiating.  Interment arrangements have not been announced.

Active pallbearers will be three grandsons, Clagg of Portland, Bethuel of Seattle, and Clarence, Jr., of Ryderwood, and the husbands of three grandaughters, Larry Keller of Portland, Edward Johnson of Longview, and Will Landin of Ryderwood.

Mr. Vandercook was a member of the Knights Templar and an active Mason during the greater part of his life.